Proposal: Game7 Expert Forum (version #2)

EDIT: Thank you everyone for your feedback and help with the revised version of this proposal! And a very special thank you to our frens at EthernautDAO (https://twitter.com/EthernautDAO) for all the help. The aim now is to go forward with the initial version of the Forum as proposed below and extend it to #2 if/when it makes sense.

Summary

• A community-led support forum is a necessary part of game development

• Proposing a structure for a Web3 Gaming Expert Forum for the Game7 community

• Outlying the two versions of the Expert Forum

I propose we explore pathways for Game7 to kickstart an Expert Forum for game developers in our community to build in a more frictionless way. The Game7 community is at a large enough stage and has amassed enough talent to execute this. Additionally, @Delroy’s latest Forum proposal, which discusses helping projects that don’t get approved for grants, made me realize the importance of kickstarting something akin to what I am about to propose.

Introduction

Building on past game makers’ knowledge is a long-standing tradition in the broader gaming community. Traditional game developers can leverage the Unity Forum or Stack Overflow for any deep technical troubles they may face throughout their game development. The Web3 Gaming space needs a place where deep questions can be asked and answered by experts. The community hosted GAM3R Forum to begin these discussions offline, but we should take it further by bringing it to the wide web.

The Unity Forum comparison

There is Unity Answers, a Q&A database for specific questions with objective answers. Comments can be used to expand on or clarify answers, but it’s not a forum. Any discussion/opinion/conversation topics are posted on the Unity Forum. On the Game7 side, we have different Discord channels where a considerable amount of general and deep discussion takes place. Yet when it comes to the level of focus of Unity Answers, the Web3 Gaming industry needs something of the sort. We could test-grow something akin to it together.

Initial Proposal

We should utilize the Discord Forum feature to bridge this gap. With the Forum, we can discuss specific topics and not worry about talking over each other. Since discussions are contained in posts, it’s easier to jump in on an existing one (or start a new one) without worrying about your message getting buried!

Further implementation can be done to drive even more value to the Forum in the form of limitations on posting and incentivizing answers through bounties and/or other rewards, as well as expanding its scope. Over time, the Forum can be extracted from the G7 Discord if it proves its value. Keep in mind that the role of the Forum is to pose and answer deep questions, not general chatter, even if it pertains to the Web3 Gaming industry.

Proposed Process for version #1 of the Forum

1. Selection of respondents: We kick off by manually inviting experts from our community to act as a “standing watch” to help answer any questions posed. Here we can also reach out to any friendly communities for help. Other contributors can freely participate in posting and answering questions.

2. Qualification of answers: When the original poster finds an answer satisfactory, they approve it by answering the respondent and reacting to it with a special emoji (TBD). This action automatically closes the Forum thread.

3. The “Topic of the week”:
    a) On select weeks, experts on a specific topic would be on standby. This includes both experts from the community and newly invited ones. An example of this would be “Legal Week”, where experts on the legal side of Web3 and Gaming would be present to answer questions.
    b) Depending on the turnout, select experts can build on top of specific answers or unanswered questions through a Community Call format in the same week, organized by the Community stewards.

4. Furthering community engagement:
    a) On Weekly Office Hours, the community stewards and contributors may jointly review posted questions and answers. If they can answer any unanswered ones, they are free to do so. If the questions fall below the Forum’s standard, they are free to remove them or direct the original poster to the FAQ.
    b) We can schedule a call between the poster and responder to discuss a specific question and answer in more detail. The Community Steward can publish this call on the Community Calendar if the two mentioned parties permit.
    c) We can post a Featured Question on socials and invite the wider community to weigh in. This can bring in the more nuanced experts who are compelled with strong experience (or opinion).

Proposed Process for version #2 of the Forum
(this builds on top of all the above-mentioned points)

1. The bounty system:
    a) Community stewards can decide to hang a bounty on specifically complex questions, an answer to which could benefit the wider Web3 Gaming community. A significant amount of community reactions to the initial Forum question can lead to a bounty placement. The aim here is to incentivize answering questions that are not addressable via a more casual type of engagement.
    b) Depending on the importance of the question & answer, the scope and level of the bounty may change. I propose three bounty tiers. Higher the level, the higher the importance. Individuals from the Community may be brought up and be allowed to assign lower-level bounties.

2. Bounty Hunter role:
    Individuals with the Bounty Hunter role are pinged on any new bounty being assigned. We can set certain rules to foster a speedy & competitive environment for solving bounties. These may include but are not limited to:
    a) Bounty Hunter may choose to ‘drop’ a bounty.
    b) Bounty Hunter may only pick up one bounty at a time.
    c) A picked-up bounty is ‘locked’ for 12 hours as the Bounty Hunter works on a submission.
    d) After solving a bounty, it timing out, or upon it being dropped, the Bounty Hunter is prohibited from picking up a new bounty for 24hrs.
    e) Applying for a Bounty Hunter role requires submitting additional data.

3. The ticketing bot: We will utilize the MEE6 Discord Bot for any automation for ticket management.
    a) Community Stewards and Managers can call upon a Custom Discord command to assign a bounty to a Forum Question. On calling the command, a ticket (bounty) is created. This pings all Bounty Hunters.
    b) On a successful bounty pickup by a Bounty Hunter, the assigned question remains open to answers from others. However, remember that the bounty winnings may only be picked up by the respecting Bounty Hunter.
    c) Original Poster of a question can close a ticket (bounty) by reacting to an answer with a specific emoji, signaling a satisfactory answer. On this action, the ticket updates and notifies the Discord Forum maintainer to review. Reviews are to be done on a weekly recurring basis.

4. Outlying the bounty rewards:
    Many of the responders on this Discourse post have provided splendid ideas for how to go about crafting a reward system that cannot be gamed. I thank you all for your comments! Aligned with the turnout from the initial iteration of the Forum, we will take another look at this as appropriate.

5. Categorization
    Based on the turnout from the initial iteration of the Forum, categories will be created to fit the needs of the then-existing content. Based on the feedback from the community, it’s clear we wish to emphasize the Blockchain side of Web3 Game Development, as Forums for the latter are already numerous in the traditional gaming industry.

Forum moderation

We all know that forums can quickly become overrun by spam, which can drive away users and harm the community. Moderation also helps to ensure that discussions remain on topic and of high quality. Additionally, it helps to keep the forum free of trolls. Therefore, I propose the following moderation avenues as a start:

1. Denying a question: If a question does not satisfy the envisioned Forum standard, feedback will be given to the OP, and the question will be deleted or moved to a less focused place within Discord. Standards would be made clear through a guidelines document detailing the level of answers and questions we seek; a FAQ.

2. Denying an answer: If an answer does not satisfy the envisioned Forum standard, feedback may be given, and the answer will be deleted or moved to a less focused place within Discord. Standards would be made clear through a guidelines document detailing the level of answers and questions we seek; a FAQ.

Past points of feedback I requested from the community: (many of these have already been answered in the replies on this post)

• How should we structure the Forum categories? What should the initial categories be, if any?

• What are common forum rules we should follow:

1. To ensure high-quality discussion and contribution?
  2. To ensure organization for discussions, questions, advice/tips?
  • How should we handle moderation apart from the two points mentioned above? How strict should we be regarding the level of questions and answers? Should Community Stewards be the ones to handle this?

• Is a Discord Forum the right platform to start on, or should we use another tool?

• Apart from Unity Answers, Unity Q&A, and Stack Overflow, are there any other Forum hubs we should look to for inspiration?

• How do we prioritize the questions we all jointly want to be answered? Are reactions and bounties the best way to do this? What threshold of upvotes should lead to a bounty on the question?

• How should we bootstrap the Forum content, and should we gate access to it? How should we secure the initial 10-15 experts to help with answering?

• Should we incentivize participation in the Forum in the first place?

• Is the “Topic of the week” and “Featured Question” the only way to leverage the Forum for driving engagement to the broader community? What are some other ideas here?

• Please share other suggestions, improvements, or drawbacks to the proposal’s outline.

EDIT: This is the second iteration of the Forum proposal. Thank you all for the feedback and for reviewing!

6 Likes

@nejc I like this proposal to explore pathways for Game7 to kickstart a Community Forum for game developers in our community. The idea of utilizing the Discord Forum feature to bridge the gap between general discussion and specific, deep questions is a solid one (basically mentorship/education).

The idea of having experts on standby to answer questions, and incentivize answers through bounties and rewards is a good way to ensure that the forum is productive and valuable for the community. Additionally, the idea of having a “Topic of the Week” where experts on specific topics are on standby to answer questions is a great way to drive engagement and ensure that the forum remains relevant and useful.

I 100% agree that we would need moderation in place to keep the forum free of spam, trolls, and off-topic discussions is also important for maintaining the quality and integrity of the forum. Overall, I think this is a well thought out proposal and I look forward to seeing how the community responds to it. Below are a few thoughts on the questions you have asked.

1. How should we structure the Forum categories?

One suggestion could be to organize the categories based on the different stages of game development (i.e. pre-production, production, post-production) and have subcategories for specific topics within each stage.

2. What should the initial categories be, if any?

Regarding the structure of the Forum categories, I suggest starting with the main areas of game development such as programming, art and design, audio, and project management. As the Forum grows, additional categories can be added based on the needs of the community.

3. What are common forum rules we should follow to ensure high-quality discussion and contribution?

Some rules could include: no spam or self-promotion, no hate speech or discrimination, and all posts must be relevant to the Web3 gaming industry.

4. How should we handle moderation apart from the two points mentioned above?

In terms of moderation, I think it would be beneficial to have a team of Community Stewards responsible for overseeing the Forum and ensuring that discussions remain on topic and of high quality. They can also be responsible for handling reports of inappropriate content and enforcing the code of conduct.

5. How strict should we be regarding the level of questions and answers?

It’s important to have some level of strictness in order to maintain the quality of the forum, but it’s also important to not be too strict and discourage participation.

6. Is a Discord Forum the right platform to start on, or should we use another tool?

Discord can be a good platform to start with as it’s already being used by the Game7 community and it has built-in forum functionality. However, it’s important to consider other options and weigh the pros and cons before making a final decision.

3 Likes

2. What should the initial categories be, if any?

Regarding the structure of the Forum categories, I suggest starting with the main areas of game development such as programming, art and design, audio, and project management. As the Forum grows, additional categories can be added based on the needs of the community.

I like this suggestion a lot.

• How do we prioritize the questions we all jointly want to be answered? Are reactions and bounties the best way to do this? What threshold of upvotes should lead to a bounty on the question?

I like the idea of signaling interest with upvotes, but not necessarily otherwise incentivizing experts to respond to one question over another. Instead, I would like the experts to prioritize applying their domain expertise as they see fit, or where they feel it will have an outsized impact for the poster.
Perhaps the incentive can come in the form of awards/bounties given out monthly or quarterly for the best responses by some combination of upvotes and quality?

3 Likes

Very interesting proposal. Here are some of my thoughts:

1. Is a Discord Forum the right platform to start on, or should we use another tool?

I am not very familiar with Discord Forum, but I’d like to know if the content can appear in Google search (like Stack Overflow and such). If the main intention of this proposal is to provide fast and high-quality responses, I don’t feel that lack of discoverability is a large issue. If this forum should grow over time into some kind of a Web3 Gaming FAQ Wiki, I think that SEO should also be considered when choosing the platform.

2. Apart from Unity Answers, Unity Q&A, and Stack Overflow, are there any other Forum hubs we should look to for inspiration?

Reddit, Quora (for open access forums).

3. How do we prioritize the questions we all jointly want to be answered? Are reactions and bounties the best way to do this? What threshold of upvotes should lead to a bounty on the question?

I believe retroactive rewards help prevent gaming the system and incentivize quality over quantity. Perhaps the first “correct” answer gets a small bounty and contributors that submit “correct” answers to multiple questions in an epoch (lets say a week) receive something extra for providing consistent useful help.

4. How should we bootstrap the Forum content, and should we gate access to it? How should we secure the initial 10-15 experts to help with answering?

IMO having open access aligns more closely with Web3 values. But if the services are very personalized, charging for access makes sense from the business side of it (having experts on stand by 24/7 probably isn’t cheap).
Set an epoch (a day / week / month) and set a total reward of X tokens. Each contributor earns points for answering and at the end of an epoch the pot is split between contributors based on # of points they collected in that time. Exact rules would probably have to be designed in such a way to prevent any kind of collusion and incentivize 1 amazing answer over 5 mediocre ones. Giving away some kind of a badge (POAP) could also help spark some interest, because who doesn’t love digital collectibles.

2 Likes
  1. How should we structure the Forum categories? What should the initial categories be, if any?

I suggest that we stick to Integration to blockchain and web3. There are already tons of forums on how to do game development in general and we probably wouldn’t have the resources to be able to answer all game development questions. So my categories would consist of Smart Contracts, Blockchain with Eth, Polygoin, etc as subcategories, Tools, Tokenomics, to start. It would be great if we could integrate with ChatGPT API as well. If we did this, then we could expand the categories to more broadly cover game development.

1. What are common forum rules we should follow

Most definitely I would include a bounty system.

1. How should we handle moderation apart from the two points mentioned above? How strict should we be regarding the level of questions and answers? Should Community Stewards be the ones to handle this?

I’m going to say yes, that we will need community stewards and first line responders. Most of the experts are going to be building and we want to encourage that to move the industry forward.

1. Is a Discord Forum the right platform to start on, or should we use another tool?

I’m not to happy with the regular discord channels, hard to search and find things. Also, this should be as public as possible because we want as much adoption as possible. I see something like stack overflow, but with ChatGPT built in (just a long term vision)

1. How do we prioritize the questions we all jointly want to be answered? Are reactions and bounties the best way to do this? What threshold of upvotes should lead to a bounty on the question?

Stack overflow moderators spend a lot of time moderating peoples responses. We’ll have to do this as well, or maybe we have a reputation system that allows for higher reputations to moderate.

1. How should we bootstrap the Forum content, and should we gate access to it? How should we secure the initial 10-15 experts to help with answering?

Idea - Add a condition of any of the upcoming Grant proposals to add 10% for support if the grant proposal doesn’t have it.

1. Should we incentivize participation in the Forum in the first place?

I don’t think this is necessary, because it is providing a great service to Web3/Game Devs and I don’t need compensation to find answers or use ChatGPT, heck I would pay you for the privilege!

1. Is the “Topic of the week” and “Featured Question” the only way to leverage the Forum for driving engagement to the broader community? What are some other ideas here?

yes, this is a great idea.

3 Likes

Agree with the general forum rules you proposed. Thanks Delroy!

1 Like

Absolutely love this @nejc
Well thought out and could be extremely helpful for builders.
The replays to this thread have been great as well so I don’t much to add but:

1. How do we prioritize the questions we all jointly want to be answered? Are reactions and bounties the best way to do this? What threshold of upvotes should lead to a bounty on the question?
  • Prioritizing questions can be done through a combination of reactions and bounties. A threshold of upvotes can be set to trigger a bounty on a question, such as 25 upvotes or more.
  • Additionally, a system of reputation points can be implemented to reward users who consistently contribute high-quality content.
  1. How should we bootstrap the Forum content, and should we gate access to it? How should we secure the initial 10-15 experts to help with answering?
  • To bootstrap the forum content & secure our first experts, it can be a good idea to reach out to experts from the community in the field to ask them to contribute their knowledge and answer questions, we can in return for their efforts produce a Twitter space or a discord call where they highlight their work to gain reputation.
  • Access to the forum should be open to all, could be great to onboard more contributors
  1. Is the “Topic of the week” and “Featured Question” the only way to leverage the Forum for driving engagement to the broader community? What are some other ideas here?
  • What about creating a leaderboard or achievement system for top contributors? Gamify it a bit and reward with unique fun NFTs and maybe other rewards from the community if we want to make it more social.
1 Like

Thanks for the responses here! Let me reply to you in sections…

1. I see the need for Google search visibility. For starters, I see growing the Forum within the G7 Discord as a rapid way to test/identify whether the community is at a good enough stage to harbor a forum. Externalizing can come as a future step. To tackle this early on, we could utilize some bot functionalities here to grant search visibility to the generated Forum content(see link for ex. → https://top.gg/bot/1027596901903777803).

2. Good examples, thank you.

3. I see you’re proposing a strong amount of gamification… Weekly/monthly quests and even streaks are all plausible. If you want to outline your thoughts more concretely, feel free to do so. I see you have some great ideas!

4. The Discord server is open to all as of recently, so I echo your thoughts on open access. As per charging for access, I would prefer to keep it open to all, although I could see that the quality of questions/answers could rise if we as a community were to go down the paid route. How do you envision the POAP? A possible idea I had was to give out a POAP only once you’ve contributed an approved answer — only then would one get access to bounties. I see this as a way of removing the low-level answers that would be piled on open questions for folks that only seek the initial reward/bounty… Any thoughts here @Nexonik ?

Also pinging @SuperGenius here if you have any other specific thoughts on the points discussed above.

Thanks for the answers! Responding in sections…

1. Curious that you would remove game-dev categories; I see your case! How do you see the ChatGPT integration functioning in practice? Question - why enable that as a Forum feature and not just have the individual discuss a particular question via ChatGPT UI on their own time?

2. Being as public as possible is good for the mid-long term. My reasoning for doing this within our Discord server is that it is the community’s home and offers a fast way to test if we are at a good enough stage to harbor the Forum.

3. Do you mean here that any newly approved grantee would need to contribute 10% of the grant funding to the incentivization of the Forum, or do I misunderstand you?

Appreciate your responses here @Junior!

1. Agree on the rep system functioning well here.
  2. +1 on keeping the Discord Forum open to all; I see your point.
  3. Want to take a shot at listing the achievements? How do you envision this in practice?

Curious about what @Delroy and @GrandMarquis think of keeping the game-dev-related questions out of the initial set of categories. Thoughts?

I suggest that we stick to Integration to blockchain and web3. There are already tons of forums on how to do game development in general and we probably wouldn’t have the resources to be able to answer all game development questions. So my categories would consist of Smart Contracts, Blockchain with Eth, Polygoin, etc as subcategories, Tools, Tokenomics, to start. It would be great if we could integrate with ChatGPT API as well. If we did this, then we could expand the categories to more broadly cover game development.

I see @SuperGenius’s point above… There are many places for game devs to find answers to their questions, should we even attempt to tackle that or stick to the Web3 integration part?

1 Like

I understand your suggestion to focus on integration with blockchain and web3 for the forum categories. It makes sense to capitalize on our unique expertise and resources. However, I also think it’s important to consider the needs and interests of the community. By having a more general game development category, we may be able to attract a wider range of users who are interested in learning about how to integrate blockchain and web3 into their projects. Additionally, I think it would be beneficial to have subcategories for specific topics such as smart contracts, blockchain with Eth, Polygoin, etc as well as tools and tokenomics. Integrating with ChatGPT API could also be a great way to enhance the forum’s functionality and provide users with additional resources. Overall, it’s important to strike a balance between focusing on our areas of expertise and catering to the needs of the community.

1 Like

@nejc let me expand on the #4 first, because it would likely affect #3 as well.

#4 As far as I understood the initial proposal, there would be a select group of individuals who would contribute to answering the questions. If that is the case, they could get airdropped community badge or a special discord role, to distinguish them from the others. Alternatively, there could be some threshold, like providing a good answer, that would have to reached by an individual to get this role / badge. Some questions that came to mind while writing the response - should these roles be permanent? Should there be a fixed number of roles, where a less active responder could get replaced by another individual who’s more active?

#3 Indeed, I view gamification as one of the best ways to incentivize certain behavior, because it’s usually easier to work when you have a certain objective (ofc bad objectives = bad outcomes). My primary concern with monetary incentives is that people are additionally motivated to try and break the system for financial gain. If it’s clear that such action is very difficult/punishable, people might spend more time providing value than gaming the system. When tackling spam, we also shouldn’t forget that people asking questions could spam them as well. I would be interested to discuss this further once basic platform specs are put in place, because these incentive systems could vary depending on the structure of the platform and desired community engagement.

Edit: seems like the forum doesn’t like it when I list 4. before 3. so I made some formatting changes

1 Like

For sure!

1. Most Active Contributor: Awarded to the member with the highest number of posts and replies in a given time frame. (As this could encourage spamming I would suggest counting only posts and replies with 3+ likes, or something of that nature).
  2. Top Question Asker: Given to the member who asks the questions that generated the most meaningful discussion and engagement in a specific timeframe.
  3. Best Answer Provider: Recognizing the member who provides the most helpful and insightful answers to questions asked by others.
  4. Most Popular Topic Starter: Awarded to the member who starts the most popular discussions that generate significant engagement and discussion.
  5. Community Champion: Given to the member who consistently helps others, contributes to the community in meaningful ways, and sets a positive example for others to follow.

We can create leaderboards for any of those as well, so people can track their progress and each week \ month the winners will receive an NFT that represents their contribution.

Not sure if the NFT should hold some utility or just represent the contribution, if it doesn’t, maybe an SBT makes more sense.

Would love to hear your thoughts on that :smiley:

1 Like

Can you expand on the ChatGPT integration? How do you see it functioning in practice?

Should there be a fixed number of roles, where a less active responder could get replaced by another individual who’s more active?

An option to introduce a decay mechanics is on the table, but that’s making things quite complicated! Going from a community initiative to a true product ha! Good idea though, let’s see!

I would be interested to discuss this further once basic platform specs are put in place, because these incentive systems could vary depending on the structure of the platform and desired community engagement.

I am looking more & more towards Discourse as being a good home for this. Bots and plugins for harboring Forums exist for both Discord and Discourse though, and I just got connected to their builders! Getting some extra insights there. Will share them in this Proposal in the very near future!

1. Most Active Contributor: Awarded to the member with the highest number of posts and replies in a given time frame. (As this could encourage spamming I would suggest counting only posts and replies with 3+ likes, or something of that nature).
  2. Top Question Asker: Given to the member who asks the questions that generated the most meaningful discussion and engagement in a specific timeframe.
  3. Best Answer Provider: Recognizing the member who provides the most helpful and insightful answers to questions asked by others.
  4. Most Popular Topic Starter: Awarded to the member who starts the most popular discussions that generate significant engagement and discussion.
  5. Community Champion: Given to the member who consistently helps others, contributes to the community in meaningful ways, and sets a positive example for others to follow.

Big fan of these ones! How do you see decay working for these? On a monthly basis? Can each be held only by one contributor at a time? Could it function as a time-limited POAP that gets returned after some time period? The utility can also come through being able to flex it. :wink:

An option to introduce a decay mechanics is on the table, but that’s making things quite complicated! Going from a community initiative to a true product ha! Good idea though, let’s see!

Yeah, as I said earlier I’m not exactly certain that I completely understand long term vision of this project. If it’s geared more towards community discourse and such, adopting mechanics from reddit/stack overflow might work well (upvoting good answers, downvoting bad, etc.). But if that’s the case, I’m not sure why not just create a subreddit that’s meant for such topics.

I am looking more & more towards Discourse as being a good home for this. Bots and plugins for harboring Forums exist for both Discord and Discourse though, and I just got connected to their builders! Getting some extra insights there. Will share them in this Proposal in the very near future!

Discourse looks interesting. I am not sure how big of a budget this project will have, but I think it would be very cool if there was a way of making hosting costs and community rewards sustainable over long term. IMO that’s where majority of DeFi protocols failed with their LP rewards, because people have little incentive to stay there once the rewards run out.

Looking forward to proposal updates.

2 Likes

Thank you @Delroy, @Nexonik, @GrandMarquis, @Junior, and @SuperGenius, for all the feedback here. See version #2 of the original post, and do let me know if you have any additional thoughts.

1 Like

A place for this kind of content is certainly useful. A couple of thoughts:

How will people discover the forum?

In open source projects that have budget for people to spend their time answering questions, the approach that I have seen consistently work is to create tags on Stack Overflow and have people answer questions over there.

The reason this is so effective is that Stack Overflow ranks highly in Google searches and that increases the reach of the help that people give.

I am not sure if the answers on this forum are going to be behind a login-wall, but if so then we would miss out on discoverability through public search engines?

Is it not a concern because of how small the community of web3 game developers is? (But shouldn’t we plan for it to become larger?)

Stewards have too much power

I don’t think stewards should be the ones deciding how valuable questions and answers are - that should be up to the community. Otherwise we risk creating an echo chamber of little value to people who are actually making games.

We do have to take care to make the bounty system not gameable. For example, if bounties award on-chain tokens, then in the decentralized version there should be no automatic matching of bounty awards. Otherwise we end up with the same kind of bot issues that Gitcoin has had to address.

Stack Overflow points are a great reputation system, and Reddit used to have Dogecoin tipping as well as Reddit Gold, then Silver, and now badges. They are examples of how the decentralized version of bounties can work.

2 Likes